The top 7 GRC certifications for 2021
13 February 2021
Governance, risk and compliance (GRC) certifications showcase commitment to quality, demonstrate professional expertise and work wonders for the paycheck.
But of course, GRC isn't just about getting certificates on the wall. Professionals with a GRC certification must juggle stakeholder expectations with business goals and ensure that organizational objectives are met. Such a huge amount of responsibility is deemed necessary in today’s business climate and unlike many other professions, the GRC career path is only loosely defined.
Here at Ideagen, we have identified the top 7 GRC certifications that the modern quality professional should aim for in 2021.
1. GRCP (Governance, Risk and Compliance Professional)
Offered by non-profit think tank OCEG, the GRCP certification acts as a baseline for other GRC qualifications with its broad focus. It demonstrates:
- Knowledge of the operation of the core GRC disciplines, from auditing to risk
- Understanding of the GRC capability model and its four elements: learning, alignment, performance and review
- Competence in advising on key GRC controls and functions, and integrating GRC processes into a holistic strategy
Participants prepare for the exam with OCEG's 'GRC Fundamentals' video course or a two-day training program. Best of all, the exam's free for OCEG All Access Pass members.
2. Managing Risk for Competitive Advantage
This 3-day course provided by The University of Cambridge’s Judge Business School gives corporate leaders everything they need to turn risk into a competitive weapon. The course offers:
- A deeper understanding of the complexities of risk and its sources
- Develop an awareness of how risks occur in immediate and longer-term
- New ways of thinking with the understanding of how to leverage risk as a positive
This 3-step learning programme from JBS will enable your business with a toolkit and set of checklists that you can use and adapt in your own organisation and also provides 3 of the 10 learning days needed for the JBS General Management Certificate of Achievement.
3. IIA Award in compliance audit and assurance
The Chartered Institute of Internal Auditors is the only professional association for British and Irish internal auditors. The purpose of this course is to assist those who are working in a compliance or assurance role to understand their responsibilities. Topics covered in this 2-day course include:
- Compliance audits and the importance of a compliance role
- Governance structures for compliance teams
- The ability to write a risk statement, report effectively, apply a risk matrix and perform root cause analysis
The IIA Award in compliance audit and assurance is a good way for businesses to arm their compliance teams and their second line of defence with the all-round knowledge and skill set needed to apply a modern audit plan.
4. The GRC Group
The GRC Group and its two institutions, the SOX and GRC institutes, offers members with a minimum of three years' professional experience the opportunity to achieve its CGRC certification.
- Understanding how the various roles and tiers of a business can contribute to robust and effective GRC
- Gaining knowledge of the key GRC regulatory requirements and how to meet them
- Understanding best practice in control frameworks, how to improve internal operation with focused investment, and how to track GRC process performance
GRC requires constant improvement and innovation. Understanding how to invest in a business's GRC system is a crucial skill provided by CGRC certification.
5. CSSBB (Certified Six Sigma Black Belt)
Certification from ASQ is considered a mark of quality excellence in many industries. The web-based training modules require approximately 136 hours.
Black Belt’s will obtain the knowledge to become Lean Six Sigma experts, able to execute lean tactics, coach and coordinate project teams, and deliver tangible business results. Certification demonstrates your ability to:
- understand and communicate L6S techniques such as DMAIC
- identify nonvalue-added elements and activities
- apply a range of process improvement methods to your business operation
The certification is a mixture of text, video, audio, simulations and quizzes to help engrain learning and requires that you complete at least one Six Sigma project and submit a project affidavit.
6. Leading Quality Strategy & Planning
The Chartered Quality Institute (CQI) contributes to policy decisions at a national level, and provides a range of training, certification and resources for its members. Its 40-hour ‘Leading Quality Strategy and Planning’ course is designed to:
- transform GRC professionals into effective strategy builders and executors
- focus on skills such as product management and team management
- develop leadership skills to apply quality planning within the context of product/service portfolio management
The certification is provided after a 2.5-hour multiple-choice exam.
7. Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
Developed by (ISC)2, the world’s leading cyber-security membership association, this international information systems security certification is designed to provide a:
- comprehensive and practical competence of all 8 domains of the Common Body of Knowledge (CBK).
- Knowledge of risk management to asset security and testing
- Free copy of the (ISC)2 CISSP textbook
5-day training can be completed face-to-face or online and once you have accrued at least 5 years of paid work experience in at least 2 of the 8 areas of the CBK, you’ll receive your CISSP certification.
To find out more information about what GRC certifications are best for you and your company in 2021, take a look at our software solutions.